Learn how to fit coving with our guide to essential preparation and first steps
Learning how to fit coving can take some practice. But with the right tools and preparation, you can put up coving
like a pro. Our step-by-step guide will take you through the steps for preparing to fit coving.
Here's what you'll need
How to fit coving: steps to prepare for fitting coving
- Lay a dust sheet down to protect floors.
- Plan to start on external corners or the most visible part of the room. Make sure surface is sound, clean and free of loose material –like old wallpaper or paste.
- Measure the width of your cove and use this to draw pencil guidelines on your walls and ceilings. Join the pencil markings into straight lines with a straight edge. You can also do this with a 100mm length of coving.
- Using the stripping knife, score between the guidelines to help the cove bond firmly. Then sponge down to remove any loose paint or plaster.
- When creating joints or corner mitres, always measure the distance from the edge of the last length of cove to the corner and mark it on the wall. This will ensure the best match.
- To allow for the adhesive on the back of the cove, take 4mm off internal to internal angle measurements (2mm each end). For external to external angles, add on 4mm (2mm each end).
- Make sure that you make all measurement marks on the cove wall edge.
Next steps for learning how to fit coving
Now that you’ve got the right tools and your surfaces and coving is prepared, you’re ready to cut the coving. Find out how to cut coving with our step-by-step guide.
See our product
pages to explore the full range of Artex Easifix products. Fore more home improvement inspiration, check out our Help and Advice